Quick bread is a bread that uses leveners, like baking soda and baking powder instead of yeast. A lot like a biscuit dough only gooier. The beauty of this bread, besides the amazing flavor, is it’s all mixed in one bowl and no waiting around for it to rise!
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini, grated
- 2 cups all purpose white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk I used 2% but whole or non fat would be fine
- 1 tablespoon vinegar, white or apple cider
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9 x 5 bread pan with non stick spray.
- Wrap grated zucchini in a paper towel and squeeze until some of the liquid releases. You don't need to completely dry it out. Just a tablespoon of liquid or so.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine milk and vinegar. The milk will curdle a bit. (you just made homemade buttermilk!) Mix in melted butter and egg.
- Add milk mixture to dry mixture being careful not to over mix. (over mixing will make for a low rising bread).
- Add grated zucchini, cheese and onions. Mixing lightly until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees for one hour.
- If toothpick inserted comes out clean, bread is done! Cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Remove carefully and cool on wire rack.
- Do not skip the step where you squeeze a bit of the moisture out of the grated zucchini, or you could end up with mushy bread.
- We used a combination of one cup milk to 1 tablespoon vinegar to make the buttermilk. But if you prefer, simply omit the vinegar and use one cup of buttermilk.
- I used a 9 x 5 Loaf Pan.
- This is a great way to use little chunks of cheese you might have left over and and can’t bring yourself to toss out.
- Toast this up the next day for a fabulous breakfast!
- To use buttermilk; Simply omit the milk and vinegar combination and replace with one cup of buttermilk.