It may seem as though making this recipe is pure kitchen magic, but it’s the dish’s down-to-earth goodness that keeps people coming back to this easy cheeseburger pie recipe year after year.
- 1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- 1/2 cup Original Bisquick™ mix
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- Heat oven to 400°F. Spray 9-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray.
- In 10-inch skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown; drain. Stir in salt. Spread in pie plate. Sprinkle with cheese.
- In small bowl, stir remaining ingredients with fork or wire whisk until blended. Pour into pie plate.
- Bake about 25 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Prep and assemble the pie up to 24 hours ahead of baking. Stash covered, in the refrigerator and plan to bake it a 5 to 8 minutes longer or until knife inserted in center comes out clean since it will be chilled.
- This recipe has been on the Bisquick™ mix box for years, and it is still one of the most-requested Impossibly Easy Pie recipes of all time.
- Let a straight-forward cheeseburger pie can be the beginning for a diner-inspired dinner: top the pie with crumbled bacon and sliced avocado, fried onions and mushrooms, a California-style shredded lettuce and tomato, dill pickle chips, or pickled red onions! The sky’s the limit.
- Use a wire whisk to beat up a baking mix batter and make it lump-free—it works like a charm.